Title 41 Chapter 1a Section 1206 (Effective 01/01/13) (Sup 07/01/13)
|<< Previous Section (41-1a-1205)||Next Section (41-1a-1206 (Effective 07/01/13)) >>|
Motor Vehicle Act
Registration fees -- Fees by gross laden weight.
41-1a-1206 (Effective 01/01/13) (Sup 07/01/13). Registration fees -- Fees by gross
(1) Except as provided in Subsection (2), at the time application is made for registration or renewal of registration of a vehicle or combination of vehicles under this chapter, a registration fee shall be paid to the division as follows:
(a) $44.50 for each motorcycle;
(b) $43 for each motor vehicle of 12,000 pounds or less gross laden weight, excluding motorcycles;
(c) unless the semitrailer or trailer is exempt from registration under Section 41-1a-202 or is registered under Section 41-1a-301:
(i) $31 for each trailer or semitrailer over 750 pounds gross unladen weight; or
(ii) $28.50 for each commercial trailer or commercial semitrailer of 750 pounds or less gross unladen weight;
(d) (i) $53 for each farm truck over 12,000 pounds, but not exceeding 14,000 pounds gross laden weight; plus
(ii) $9 for each 2,000 pounds over 14,000 pounds gross laden weight;
(e) (i) $69.50 for each motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicles, excluding farm trucks, over 12,000 pounds, but not exceeding 14,000 pounds gross laden weight; plus
(ii) $19 for each 2,000 pounds over 14,000 pounds gross laden weight; and
(f) $45 for each vintage vehicle that is less than 40 years old.
(2) (a) The initial registration fee for a vintage vehicle that is 40 years old or older is $40.
(b) A vintage vehicle that is 40 years old or older is exempt from the renewal of registration fees under Subsection (1).
(c) A vehicle with a Purple Heart special group license plate issued in accordance with Section 41-1a-421 is exempt from the registration fees under Subsection (1).
(3) If a motor vehicle is operated in combination with a semitrailer or trailer, each motor vehicle shall register for the total gross laden weight of all units of the combination if the total gross laden weight of the combination exceeds 12,000 pounds.
(4) (a) Registration fee categories under this section are based on the gross laden weight declared in the licensee's application for registration.
(b) Gross laden weight shall be computed in units of 2,000 pounds. A fractional part of 2,000 pounds is a full unit.
(5) The owner of a commercial trailer or commercial semitrailer may, as an alternative to registering under Subsection (1)(c), apply for and obtain a special registration and license plate for a fee of $130.
(6) Except as provided in Section 41-6a-1642, a truck may not be registered as a farm truck unless:
(a) the truck meets the definition of a farm truck under Section 41-1a-102; and
(b) (i) the truck has a gross vehicle weight rating of more than 12,000 pounds; or
(ii) the truck has a gross vehicle weight rating of 12,000 pounds or less and the owner submits to the division a certificate of emissions inspection or a waiver in compliance with Section 41-6a-1642.
(7) A violation of Subsection (6) is a class B misdemeanor that shall be punished by a fine of not less than $200.
(8) Trucks used exclusively to pump cement, bore wells, or perform crane services with a
crane lift capacity of five or more tons, are exempt from 50% of the amount of the fees required
for those vehicles under this section.
Amended by Chapter 356, 2012 General Session
|<< Previous Section (41-1a-1205)||Print View||Next Section (41-1a-1206 (Effective 07/01/13)) >>|